Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Indigenous Material by Ting Yi Yu









From the website that Professor gave us, it says:
Approximately 80% of the earth's land surface contains clay. There is a good chance that there are local earthenware clays near where you live. 



Some of the best places to look for clay include:
  • river banks
  • stream beds
  • road cuts
  • naturally exposed earth such as in canyons or gullies, and
  • construction sites     

I choose the road cuts and construction sites. I went to over 10 places (especially I-90 interstate highway)to find the indigenous material, but most of them are dirt or  rocks and hard to brake. 
Although most of my samples cannot firing or being hand build or thrown clay, I think it was a very fun experience for finding local clay. Most of drivers thought my car was broken or I got some problems and got stock on the freeway, and good thing is I didn't get pull over by the officer : )



Sample#1








 Sample#2

 Sample#3

 Sample#4

After high firing those clay samples, they ended up like oreo cookies.







No comments:

Post a Comment