Monday, June 4, 2012

Indigenous Material Sources

     




(Sometimes I really hate Blogger) Sample A is on the Left Sample B is on the Right. The test sample on the bottom is Sample A taken to ^06.
Lat Long 46.23915301482282, -120.25473833084106
This is the site where I collected samples A and B, this location is on the Yakama Indian Reservation. 


The dots you can barely see around the turquoise were made with slip on Sample B at 100% and fires to ^6 and the fired again to ^06.
 
The dots on this pitcher are slip work down with 100% sample A, and fired to ^10.
(left to right) Sample A to ^06, Sample B ^06, Sample B ^08, Sample C ^06






This site, also on the Yakama Indian Reservation is where I collected sample C. Sample C, I fired to ^08, ^06, ^6 and ^10. It was happy at all firing except for ^10.


This is Sample C marbled into a ^6 throwing clay body and fired bare to cone 6.
This is also Sample C fired to ^10 when mixed at a 50/50 ratio with Ball Clay. This piece has a light Shino glaze on it as well. The body is nice to throw but I had difficulty thinning the walls of the piece.





And finally samples D and E. D and E look promising when I dug them up but when I returned to the studio and compared them with my other samples the looked like dirt so I discarded them.

No comments:

Post a Comment